Robert James Lawton Scholarship
Oviedo Historical Society Scholarship Applications will open January 2022
The Oviedo Historical Society was organized in November 1973 by a group of citizens dedicated to the vision of an Oviedo Historical Museum and desire to promote the preservation of the history of the Oviedo community.
Robert James Lawton was born in 1929, one of the sons of Oviedo’s original Lawton Family—prominent in our city’s history. Dr. Lawton attended Oviedo High School, graduating in 1946 as Valedictorian. He went on to graduate from Florida Southern College in 1950, receive his masters from University of Delaware in 1956, and receive his Ph.D. from University of Virginia in 1968. His career was dedicated to education, holding various positions in academia. Dr. Lawton, who resided in Waynesboro, VA, made a bequest to the Oviedo Historical Society for the establishment of a permanent endowment fund upon on death.
The Society began a scholarship in Dr. Lawton’s name to promote interest in local and state history.
Two scholarships of $1,500 each to be awarded to a Seminole County High School student meeting the following criteria:
• Currently attending a High School in Seminole County
• Currently living within the 32765 or 32766 area code
• Graduating in senior class of 2021
• Showing academic achievement with a minimum 3.0 GPA
• Exhibiting special interest, as well as demonstrating accomplishment, specifically in History
• Pursuing a secondary education (preference given to those with History or Social Studies Education as a major/minor, though it’s not a requirement)
• Intending to attend college or university located in state of Florida (no exceptions)
1) Interested students will obtain application from scholarship guidance counselor or by contacting Oviedo Historical Society as noted under Contact Information below.
2) Complete Oviedo Historical Society Scholarship Application and return to the Oviedo Historical Society, postmarked no later than March 31, 2021 (address under Contact Information). Incomplete applications or applications out of compliance with the required formatting will not be considered by the scholarship committee.
3) Include the following items in the order listed:
a) The completed application, including required personal statements
b) An official High School transcript
c) A copy of your letter of acceptance from a college, university or vocational/technical school,
or a letter of intent to attend the school of your choice
The scholarship committee will review all completed applications postmarked on or before March 31, 2021, and will notify all applicants of the outcome of their applications via e-mail by April 5, 2021, at the latest. Please note that incomplete applications, i.e., applications not completed in accordance with the above specifications, and applications postmarked after March 31, 2021, will not be reviewed by the committee.
The scholarship will be awarded at the Society’s May 7th 2022 Oviedo Farmers Market located at 200 West Broadway at the Lawton House.
The winning student(s) will do a presentation on a topic (450 words, approx. 3 minutes in length) at that meeting. The essay topic is fairly broad in that it must be about some interesting, little-known fact or event in history (preferably Florida history). An Essay Notification form will be sent to the scholarship winner, providing more details, including approved format enhancements.
DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS, VENUE
AND PRESENTATION REQUIREMENT ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
Additionally, an Oviedo High School Scholarship Winner Announcement will be provided to the guidance counselor along with date, time, and location of Oviedo Historical Society’s ceremony. Family, administration, and teachers are all invited to attend.
Any questions can be directed to Mindy Starling, OHS Scholarship Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org or 407- 221-5103. Send completed application to the following address:
Oviedo Historical Society Scholarship Committee PO Box 620841
Oviedo FL 32762-0841
© 2021 Oviedo Historical Society